Aroma is a word with a Greek origin. It means spicy or fragrant smell. Scents and fragrances have always been an essential part of the cosmetics since time immemorial. However, aroma also has a great medicinal value, esp. in mental disorders like depression, anxiety etc. Aromatherapy has 3 major modes of applications –
Aerial Fragrancing is a general purpose environmental diffusion of fragrances. It is majorly used for disinfection of the atmosphere, sedimentation of the dust particles and general ambiance enrichment. Nothing improves the mood like a pleasing fragrance!
Direct inhalation can be effectively used for many medical conditions, apart from the general cosmetic usage. All systems of medicine use aromatherapy in some way or the other. Modern medicine uses inhalers for trivial medical conditions like nasal congestion, expectoration etc. to serious disorders like asthma, epilepsy etc.
Topical application is the most extensively used method of aromatherapy. It includes body massage, aromatic baths, steam baths, aromatic spritzer, compresses etc. The use of method depends on the individual requirements and health conditions. However, aromatherapy massage is the most extensively used service.
Skin is the largest organ of the body. It is also the largest pathway for absorption of nutrition or medicines. Massage is the best external treatment for the skin health. It is relaxing for the mind and invigorating for the body.
There are many types of massage. Aromatherapy massage is one of them. It combines the special benefits of aromatherapy with those of massage. Therefore it has an enhanced effect on the body physiology. Aromatherapy massage has a wide range of options according to the mix of essential oils and the massage techniques used.
Essential oils are aromatic substances that get absorbed through the skin and create a therapeutic effect.
In aromatherapy massage, these essential oils are mixed with another carrier like a cream, lotion or oil. These carriers are also called the base. They are important as the aromatic oils are too volatile to handle for massage therapy. They evaporate at a very fast rate when used alone. The base helps in an easy and effective application of essential oils.
General Benefits of Aromatherapy Massage
- Aromatherapy massage improves the overall blood circulation of the body and helps in organic skin rejuvenation.
- With the increase in blood flow, the skin starts to get better nutrition. Therefore, aromatherapy massage can relieve you of wrinkles, acne, blemishes, and dryness in the skin. It creates even skin tone.
- The first sign of aging is reflected in a loose skin. Aromatherapy massage ensures significant delays the onset of in aging signs in the skin.
- It increases the overall metabolism of the body.
Therapeutic Benefits of Aromatherapy Massage
The therapeutic aromatherapy massage can be used in multiple diseases.
- It is especially helpful in upper respiratory tract disorders like asthma, bronchitis, cold, cough, congestion, and sinusitis.
- It is effective in painful conditions like headaches, migraine, muscle cramps, or stomach ache.
- It has good results in psychological disorders like depression, anxiety, stress, insomnia etc.
- Abdominal aromatherapy massage has great results in digestive disorders like constipation, indigestion, anorexia, flatulence etc.
Aromatherapy Massage in General Diseases
Common Cold and Cough
Eucalyptus oil mixed with normal olive oil or sesame oil should be massaged on the chest. A hot compress can be used after the massage for enhanced benefits.
Head Massage with Rose oil mixed with a base of almond oil or olive oil helps to relieve anxiety and stress. It is also very helpful in insomnia.
Abdominal massage with Mint oil mixed in a base of sesame oil, accompanied with hot compress helps to alleviate stomach ache. It is good for muscle cramps as well.
Massage the affected part with a mixture of sandalwood oil and aloe vera gel and leave for some time. Wash off with plain water after some time.
With its awesome results and its sensual experience, Aromatherapy massage is a fast growing health tradition for rejuvenation, disease prevention as well as therapeutic treatment.